1. God Bless the USA! Even here, in the heart of the Aleutian Islands, we know we are home! The fishing industry in Dutch Harbor/Unalaska (800 miles Southwest of Anchorage) is booming - perhaps one of the few places in the world not suffering financial difficulties.
2. Evidently these treeless hills are green in the summer – but our day was bleak, wet and windy.
3. An exciting welcome – a lone bald eagle, the first of many we would see. The island’s people population is only 5000 friendly, helpful folks.
4 & 5. The 1824 Church of Holy Ascension (Orthodox), a national historic landmark and one of the top ten most endangered.
6. World War 2 Memorial park.
7. Fishing boats line a small boat harbor and cannery. Millions of pounds of King Crab, Snow Crab, Halibut, Cod and Herring are caught, processed and exported by the fleets and canneries. Unemployment is only 2%.
8, 9 & 10. Locals call the Bald Eagles “dumpster divers”. Seems the fishing is good for everyone!